My husband has traveled back to Queensland so I’m home alone with the dogs for about a week. Today being Mother’s Day I thought I might bake some dog treats with the fur-kids (and they were waiting impatiently at my feet the whole time). This is one of many wonderful dog treat recipes on the Doggy Dessert Chef website but since they reminded me of little Basenji tails, I thought it would be a good place to start.
Here you are, Peanut Butter & Honey Basenji Bagels!! If your dog has allergies you could probably make some simple adjustments to the recipe. They have proven very popular so far and I must admit, they smell very yummy and comforting.
1/2 cup Chunky Peanut Butter
1/4 cup Honey
1 teaspoon Vegetable Oil
1 cup Water (more if needed)
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
3 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius and prepare a baking tray with some greaseproof paper.
2. In a large bowl combine the whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon until well mixed.
3. Add the peanut butter, honey, oil and water and combine / knead until dough is formed.
4. Roll dough into balls about 1-2 inches in diameter. Poke a hole through each ball with your finger or the end of a wooden spoon.
5. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes. Cool and just try to keep the dogs away from these delicious bites!
When using human food in our dog treats, Chris and I always try to use the healthiest and freshest available. Consider using all-natural / organic products where you can with low sugar and salt levels. Enjoy!